Friday, October 10, 2014

Friday Night Eats: Lamb Stew

I didn't weigh myself at the beginning of the week because I was way too bloated. I thought I'd just wait for Monday, but today my pants felt a little looser, so I decided to suck it up and climb aboard. Well guess what? I lost 2 pounds! Woo hoo for me! I guess all the apples, carrots, and baked chicken breasts I've been eating are starting to pay off.

As for tonight's meal, I made lamb stew. I've always loved the taste of lamb and wanted to try it as a substitute for my favorite beef stew recipe, but my local grocery store never has lamb cubes. And no, I can't cube my own. I'm too lazy for that. This week, though, when I was looking through the meats for packs of lamb chops, I spotted four packages of lamb cubes. I have no idea why they were there since this store hasn't ever stocked them in the 10 years I've shopped there, but I didn't bother asking questions. I bought them, a bunch of potatoes, some beef broth, and some vegetables, so I could try out this yummy-sounding Crock Pot Lamb Stew Recipe.

I found the recipe on The Reluctant Gourmet, and it calls for : 
  • Lamb stewing meat 
  • Flour 
  • Salt (Didn't use any)
  • Sugar (Didn't use this either)
  • Dried thyme
  • Pepper
  • Garlic powder
  • Beef broth
  • Parsnips (I didn't have any)
  • Carrots
  • Pearl onions (I just used the yellow onions I happened to have on hand) 
  • Frozen peas 

As for booze, I'm not having any again this week. Since I'm on a roll with the weight loss, I don't feel great about drinking my calories. Maybe once I'm at least halfway to my goal, I'll add the drink exploration back in. Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment