Friday, September 5, 2014

Friday Night Dinner: Shepherd's Pie and Zinfandel


I was in a meat and potatoes kind of mood this Friday night, so I decided to make Shepherd's Pie. All the recipes I found for it looked really, really good, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I used a yummy recipe from AllRecipes.com, but I made a few changes. First, I only had ground turkey, so I used that. And I didn't have any beef broth, so I actually used some pasta sauce instead. Yes, it was an experiment, but I figured, what the hell... And you know what? It turned out amazing. I also went a little overboard on the butter in my potatoes, which is so not good for my diet but oh so right for my taste buds.






The recipe called for:
  • Potatoes
  • Onions
  • Carrots--I used mixed veggies.
  • Butter--I used way more than listed.
  • Cheddar cheese--Went heavy on the cheese.
  • Flour
  • Ground beef--I used ground turkey.
  • Salt and pepper--Skipped the salt but did use the pepper.
  • Vegetable oil--Used canola oil.
  • Beef broth--I used pasta sauce--a few cups.
  • Ketchup--I didn't bother since I used pasta sauce.
Here's the recipe

I had no idea which drinks would go well with Shepherd's Pie, but after a little research I found this list:

  • Buzet
  • Bourgueil
  • Pomerol
  • Chardonnay
  • Bordeaux
  • Sauvignon Blanc
  • Zinfandel
  • GrĂ¼ner Veltliner
  • Cabernet Sauvignon NW
I chose white zinfandel. It's a bit of a cheat since I've had it before (many times), but who cares? I was happy! I skipped last week because life just got in the way, but the Buffalo Chicken Lasagna I tried two weeks ago was just amazing. If you're looking for something new and tasty to serve, give it a try!



No comments:

Post a Comment